Monday, June 11, 2012

Work is Hard

I imagine the average working adult with any years of experience has come to find out that work is hard.  I've always known this, yet I've never really felt it until now.

I left Target, where I was making a decent amount of cash and had acceptable benefits, to hopefully gain more experience in analysis and gain more flexibility in my work.  Instead I got a failing company with micromanagement up the wazoo.

I left that company to make excellent cash working for a super small firm where I'd hopefully capitalize on my earlier knowledge of Target.  Apparently saying there will be adequate training and providing adequate training are two separate things, however.

Finally I work for a place where the work is interesting, challenging, and there are few rules surrounding my work environment (hours, dress, working style, etc.), yet now I'm faced with a likely failing business environment, questionable payment strategies (if any), and varying spikes of stress that cause near-vomitous afternoons, depending on the day.

Something just isn't working.  I mean, the grass is always greener, but when the grass is UTTERLY INSANE, what do I do?

I know some of it is my attitude (as about a million people have told me), but I honestly feel I've gotten the short end of the stick in a lot of respects, lately.  I've done the research, asked opinions, confirmed (confirmed) details in countless interviews, all to no avail.  What can I do when the employer (or boss, HR, etc.) outright lies to you about the job itself?  The benefits?  The company's financial position?

What rights do we, as potential or future employees, have in this situation?  Fight through it, I suppose, and then embrace the havoc that comes from having 4 companies on a resume in a span of 6 months.

Or fight back.

But that can mean multiple things.  You can fight back by biting the hand that feeds, questioning the employment tactics that may have brought you in, but now make you want to leave.  Question the lies that were told and see what you can change about them.  But that may have limited options, depending on the company, the boss, or the HR department.

You can also fight back by working extremely hard, working through the growing pains.  Pouring your heart and soul into your work environment, your co-workers, your learning and development.  Personally ensure you will succeed, and bring the company success.

But at the end of the day, if the company just simply won't make it (or...won't gain lots of success just because you're there, trying your hardest), is it really worth it?  Is it really worth all the potential late nights, stress-filled meetings and tool trainings, and client relationship statuses?  When you could just walk away from it all?  Get rid of the to-do list and upcoming deadlines, simply because you don't want to do it?

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to this question.  In the meantime, I'm contemplating my life if I didn't have to work.  The things I would do, the way I would spend my time, the places I would travel.  In the meantime I would like to discover a way I can incorporate these hobbies and interests into my current life so I don't feel so lost.  I can try to do like my dad suggests and just "not bring it home with me."  But when 1/3 of your waking life is work, I'd like to get something out of it.  Maybe that's just me.  But at least it's a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment