Monday, June 25, 2012

The Beauty of Nerdy Board Game Night

Ever since I started collecting board games (I use that term, "collecting", because it's both relevant and appropriate for the way in which I hoard all types of games, those of the board variety included), I've known that I am the type of person that benefits from board game night.

While growing up, my parents and I played board games many nights, usually the normal variety (Monopoly, Trouble, Payday, etc.) with an occasional card game thrown in.  We'd didn't really plan on any specific night of the week in which we would play, just ended up doing it roughly once a week, sometimes more or less, depending on people's schedules.

Obviously that became less of a habit as I grew up, though we still did it even while I was in high school.  My dad and I especially - we'd try to get a card game in every once and awhile, even if just for King's Corners.  During college, I'd still insist on playing some games whenever I'd go home, along with the usual movie-watching, junk food-eating and video game-playing activities.

Now, as an adult, I fairly recently decided that we should do a board game night with friends.  Since moving to the Twin Cities we have had a pretty regular group of friends (all transplants from WI, oddly enough) and have begun playing Dungeons & Dragons on a fairly frequent basis.  We had once a week going for awhile, but with the occasional missed session due to schedules and such.

Then one night, Chris and I invited over the normal bunch and planned ahead for a productive Nerdy Board Game Night.  I set a strict agenda of games so everyone had an idea of what the night would bring.  The setup was as such:
  • Spy Alley: a fairly easy collecting board game, everyone played
  • Miskatonic School for Girls: a Kickstarter deck-building game, 1/2 played simultaneous
  • Carnival: another Kickstarter game, card/dice combo, 1/2 played simultaneous
  • Scotland Yard: a fantastically strategic board game, everyone played
 We provided some basic food/snacks, as well as some special treats.  This was different from our usual DnD nights, which are sort of a BYOB, though occasionally people will share/provide for others.  I think by providing much of it, it made it more a party setting, and set a more comfortable mood.

The results was phenomenal.  Everyone had a blast, and our DM even noted that he had a great time and asked when we would be doing it again.  Our apartment is the perfect host spot for such events, as we have adequate space, probably the highest inventory to choose from, and a fairly central location for everyone to get to.

So we had another night a few weeks later - albeit less organized.  :)

The second night we essentially just got together with the normal DnD crowd, but since everyone was exhausted from the other events over the weekend and had no session-planning time, we just played Cards Against Humanity, which is just like Apples to Apples, except 17+ and definitely funnier.  Also, apparently they send out different versions with each printing, so there are always some wild cards with different people's versions.

Now I've noticed we've just been playing more games with friends/each other.  Chris and I will be finishing up on the computers for the night and ask to play a game with each other.  It's interesting - we've always had the games just didn't have the inkling to play until now, I guess.

I think the Nerdy Board Game Nights do similar things that DnD sessions do, but differently.  They make people feel welcome, comfortable, full of friendship and likely food/beer.  Usually I go to bed those nights having laughed so hard my stomach is upset, and not minding that I may have stayed up a little later than I anticipated.

Also, usually we play games that require at least a little bit of strategy and often induce some competitive anxiety.  When I play games by myself (or even World of Warcraft, etc.), I don't get that type of anxiety.  I don't necessarily feel challenged in the same way I do when I play with other humans.

Finally, I think board game nights provide a better overall experience.  There aren't often times where I remember specific hilarious things happening when we watch movies with friends (especially if I've already seen the movie before), but I definitely do while playing games.

Anyway, there are my 2 cents.  Chris would like me to remind everyone that board games are not inherently nerdy, and by calling it "Nerdy Board Game Night" I'm implying that all board games are nerdy.  I'd like to think that I'm not, but when your paragraphs also mention DnD, WoW and deck-building card games, I think it's obvious that "Nerdy" should be a part of the title.

I had a good idea for a future board game night, but I need to remember how to play a few things.  Since I purchased a mahjongg set in China and also have hanafuda cards from Japan, I figured we would do some Asian board games.  We could even pick up a Go set, or something similar.  Haven't quite decided yet.  Either way, it's gonna be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment